Saturday, January 10, 2009

A dangerous carny

"Don't go changing the subject, my dear," the man counters, pushing himself to his feet. He bends over, plucking the hat off the ground with his left hand. "How is it that when it comes to the information I want about the future, all you can offer are vague blatherings with no detail, but you nail my name spot-on without so much as a proper introduction?" He straightens, about to bend to grab his cane, when his right hand brushes the vicinity of his back pants pocket. His *empty* pants pocket. He doesn't say anything ... not at first. Instead, he completes his acquisition of the cane, stands straight, and then flings the hat aside before holding the cane at both ends in his hands and throwing himself at Ora, aiming to press her into the pillows, pinning her with the cane and his weight so she can't escape. "Where is it?" he growls.

Ora's pale brows, left to their natural hue, rise at his accusations before his motion toward the pants pocket widens her eyes. A blue that is nearly black, violet that shares with silver...for once, a gaze that cannot even decide upon its color converges to a point of intensity that is nearly palpable in comparison to its vagaries before. She is already moving to push herself up, an explanation about to spill from her lips, before his violence wrings a soft gasp from her, one arm pinned between them when she had thrown it up in an attempt to ward his cane aside, the other lost behind her amongst the pillows. "Ian, please! There...there is no need for this..."

"No?" he asks, leaning close to her face, keeping his weight on her. "Maybe I should search you. Not exactly a gentlemanly approach, I agree, but I am not a gentleman who takes lightly to robbery. I may freely pay you to spout gibberish about the future. I may freely pay you to lie with me. But I will not be made a victim of unwilling theft. Not by you. Not by anyone." Penumbra's voice is a sibilant whisper when he concludes: "Where is it? No obfuscations. No lies. No half-hearted excuses. Just tell me where it is and we may proceed to the topic of compensation - yours and mine."

No comments: