Tuesday, May 5, 2009

New JTS Site

The social networking site at Ning.com is a good "check us out" sort of site for new people who might discover us. However, the general consensus I've gotten from feedback re: using it as our MAIN site has been as follows:

It's too laggy, too chaotic, too dark, too spammy, too spread out.

And I've tended to agree. A year or so ago, Marson first suggested that I give Drupal a look for our own content-management system. In the past few weeks, I finally did, and I liked what I saw. So, rather than invest more effort in developing the Ning.com site as our main hub, I've shifted the effort back to Jointhesaga.com and a new Drupal-based content center.

At the new site:

* We've got built-in forums
* We've got voting links
* We've got links to connect to our games via web browser
* Registered users can add content

The latest site announcements and IC news articles will appear on the main page. I'm also rebuilding our local roleplaying log archive and the Encyclopedia Intergalactica, including a comprehensive roster of characters.

Yes, it's another major change. Yes, it's understandably frustrating. But the new site will give us the flexibility of a Wiki, the interaction of the forums, and the freedom of self-ownership that Wikia and Ning.com don't offer.

Visit http://www.jointhesaga.com and it should automatically redirect to the Drupal-driven site.

No comments: